Wednesday, May 22, 2013

We're There. We're SO There.

It's taken over the internet.

All of our feeds and cluttered with them.

You can't browse anything without seeing them.

We've all done it... heck, even the Doctor has done it.

And we should be ashamed of ourselves.

What is this awful thing that we can't get away from?????

The selfie.



Today's prompt is to give a rant, and I wasn't sure what I should rant about. I asked Leah to help me out - she usually is a good person to go to for these sorts of things.

She immediately said "Selfies."

I didn't even occur to me until she said it, and the more I thought, the more I realized-

I HATE THEM SO MUCH.

Granted, we've all taken them. The two photos you see here on my blog (the one of me in my header, and the other one with me in the yellow sunglasses) are both selfies.

So, I understand that you do what you gotta do sometimes.

But if you look on Instagram - ALMOST ALL OF THE PHOTOS ARE SELFIES.

If you are unfamiliar with the "selfie" - I found this article from the Huffington Post for you. 

I can't tell you how many times I've looked at my Instagram feed and rolled my eyes at every single picture I scrolled through. Self portrait after self portrait. 

I'm not talking about photos of yourself. I actually like those a lot. A picture of yourself with your friends, or when you're on vacation, or doing something fun. That's fine. Those are good.

But when the ONLY photos you take are you just looking at the camera - UGH STOP IT. 

I know what you look like and after awhile all of those photos look EXACTLY THE SAME. If I wanted to see your face I can either go see you face to face, or I can just look at your profile picture. I don't need twenty closeups of your nose to get that. 

It's annoying seeing so many bathroom mirror photos over and over again. I have seen far too many toilets on the screen of my iPad and smartphone.

Most of these don't even look good.It's too close up to the face, it's all blurry, no filter will make it look better, and the angle is always wrong. 

Again - on a rare occasion having a selfie is fine. It happens and you do what you gotta do. (I mean, come on, it's not fall until you've taken a photo of yourself drinking a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks...) However, there is such a thing as too much.

And we're there people.

We are SO THERE we've passed it.

So please, the next time you feel the need to take a selfie, stop.

Or at least find someone around and say "Hey, can you take a picture of me? Thanks."

Is it really that hard?

Nope. People understand, and they might even respect you more if they see you're making the effort to snap a decent photo.

Down with the selfie!

4 comments:

  1. Even worse than the actual photos is the word "selfie." I told my friend she can take pictures of herself as long as she doesn't call them selfies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. I totally love this. It does get really old! :) And, you have Dr. Who in this post…which makes me love it even more. (I'm a closet fan of that show!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. On ur post about not liking pictures of yourself I said the worse pix of myself are selfies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, selfies are the WORST. Mostly because whenever I take one, I look AWFUL - like I've been run over by a truck. Or I find that I have mascara smeared half way across my face. Needless to say, I avoid taking selfies as much as possible...

    ReplyDelete

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.