Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Wooden People and Castles

Day 5: A Book that Makes You Smile

Once again- I couldn't pick just one. I fail. Oh well. But I consider this more of 1 1/2 books rather than two... you'll understand as you keep reading.

A book that always makes me smile is Max Lucado's You Are Special. It's a children's book, so that's where the 1/2 comes in.



My freshman year in college an upperclassman I was friends with (who was also an RA) found this book and read it to some of us girls when we were hanging out in the lounge on her floor. She said that when she read it, she couldn't help but feel good about herself. When she read it to us, I had warm fuzzies all over. Reading this simple little story about the Wemmicks simply makes you feel good inside. I read this at the local Lutheran high school for chapel once, and it was one of my all time favorite chapels I've done. I called it "Story Time With Emily." Because everyone needs to remember that they are special from time to time. After reading it, you can't help but be happy. I get all smiley and can't stop thinking "God thinks I'm special. And he loves me. Hehe."

eden.co.uk
The other book that makes me smile is the one I am reading right now. To Defy a King by Elizabeth Chadwick. It is the third book written about the Marshall family. I'm in love with this book! It makes me wonder if maybe I was born in the wrong time period. Every day I can't wait to get home so I can read more about Mahelt and Hugh. When I have to force myself to put the book down I can't wipe the smile off of my face because I'm loving these characters and the story! Mahelt is such a strong character, but fun and loving because of how young she is. Then Hugh, while he is not William Marshall (Mahelt's father who was the star in the previous books), I quickly came to adore his character as well. Can I go back to the days when I could live in a castle and marry a knight or earl, then go horse back riding through the country and come home to sing songs with my family?

celticladysreviews.blogspot.com
To catch up on my other entries in the 30 Day Book Challenge, check out these links:

This is me Jumping on the Bandwagon
I'll Never Let Go
Adventures in the Kitchen Part 2
Times When I Want to go to California and Europe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.