Saturday, April 9, 2011

Alien Love

Day 9: A Book You Thought You Wouldn't Like But Ended Up Loving

I avoided reading this book for a long time. It was almost how I felt about the book with Miley's face on it. Owning all of the Twilight books and seeing all of the movies was humiliation enough - did I really have to buy Stephenie Meyer's other book?

But after almost two years of prodding from one of my teenagers (who LOVES Twilight. The books, not the movies, she probably wants you to know.) and her saying "But Emily, this one is sooooo much better than Twilight!"



Ugh. Fine. I'll get it. I actually ended up listening to it on audio book. Which I kinda like sometimes because it forces me to take my time with a book and to really soak everything in.

Naturally, I'm talking about Stephenie Meyer's The Host.


stepheniemeyer.com

First, I will admit that I enjoy Twilight. Please hear me out on this one.

I refer to Twilight as junk food. There is nothing good about it. It probably even rots your brain. No substance or anything. But it's fun so you read it anyways. Just like junk food. (Well, not all junk food. Like, really good chocolate is better than Twilight.) So... yeah. But I didn't want to read The Host. I thought it was just going to be dumb.

But I LOVED it! You can tell that Stephenie Meyer put more thought into this book and did a lot more with development than in Twilight. Is it as good of literature as other books? No, but it's still really good.

I genuinely enjoyed the characters; and the plot and concept were  interesting. At first I was ridiculously confused on what was going on, but once I caught on I was fascinated. I never would have thought of aliens being like "souls!" It's alien invasion meets reincarnation. Pretty cool! And it's a good fun love story too that just makes you go "awwwwww" and "I want that." Also, the relationship between the "soul" and the "host body" was pretty interesting.  I mean - two people so to speak in one body? Crazy! But fun to see how it worked out.

The youth who kept on telling me to read it laughed at me because I kept on texting her about it and she was all "I told you so!" Eventually I had to starting bringing the CDs of the audio book out of my car and inside the house so I could keep listening to what was happening.

There were rumors of it becoming a movie - but I'm not sure if those rumors are coming true or not. Let's just hope they do a better job with The Host than with Twilight if they do come true though! (Although Eclipse wasn't too terrible...) I would really like to see how the scenes would look on a big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.