Thursday, July 4, 2013

Throwback 4th of July

Happy 4th of July!!!!!!

The day when the only colors that exist are wear red, white, and blue, we grill hot dogs and burgers, set off explosives, and listen to obnoxious marching bands.

It's a good time.

This year, I'll be spending Independence Day in San Antonio, TX with 25,000 teenagers (and the crazy adults who take them there) for the National Youth Gathering. There's supposed to be an awesome fireworks show tonight, so I'm excited.

It'll be interesting to see how Texas does the 4th. Will it be awesome... or just kinda terrifying cause it's Texas?

In the meantime - it's time for Throwback Thursday!

And of course, today's theme is "Throwback 4th Of July."

I always enjoyed this holiday. Maybe it was becuase my birthday is July 5. Who knows?

Each year it was roughly the same thing. My town always had a big parade that went down my street, so my sister and I would stand outside of the funeral home (remember last week how I told you I was Veda from My Girl?) and watch everything go by. I hated the first part because it was loud sirens from the firetrucks, ambulances, and police cars. But after that, I had a ball. We picked up candy, listened to the bands, watched the Shriners drive in their little mini clown-like cars, and vote on which floats we thought were the best.

By the time I got to high school, watching the parade wasn't an option anymore because I was IN it for marching band. In those days, nothing said "summer" like passing out from summer heat in your heavy marching band uniform. 


Then afterwards, we would head to the park to watch a huge fireworks display. My dad always helped with the snow cone machine, and I would sit with my friends and ooh and ahh over the fireworks.

Usually all of this happened a day or two before the 4th. So for the day of, it was always a quiet day at home. Hot dogs and hamburgers of course for lunch and dinner. But one of the perks of living above a funeral home is that you get an awesome porch with the best view. 

We would stay up late and sit on the porch, eating popsicles and ice cream (and as we got older... sipping adult beverages) to catch all of the neighborhood fireworks. We were able to see the ones from peoples houses as well as other neighborhoods. (Yup, we were that high up. It was great.)

If we weren't at home over the 4th, we would travel to Indiana to visit my mom's family. My cousin had a birthday two days after mine, so there were a lot of family birthday parties spent by the pool.

We also would check out their fireworks show as well.

Once, we sat so close to where they were setting them off, one of the reminents of the fireworks landed right in front of my sister, my cousin, and I. My cousin was so freaked out and couldn't tell what it was and thought they hit a bird!

We still tease her about it to this day and she hates us for it.

Love you!

There was even one year, the summer I turned 21, my college friends came to my house for the 4th. Then I went to them for my birthday the next day!

Me and my friend Sam on my 21st.
What were some of your favorite 4th of July memories growing up?

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post, and such fantastic events!!! My favorite 4th of July memory ever... is actually from last night. We had THE best 4th of July... EVER. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a good 4th this year too! San Antonio knows how to have a fireworks display! And I'm so glad you had a wonderful holiday with Jen. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up on my blog reading the next few days!

      Delete

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.