Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Awesome Female Role Models- Buffy Summers

When Emmy approached me with an opportunity to guest post on an awesome female role model, I knew exactly who it would be.

Buffy Summers aka Buffy the Vampire Slayer.



 I was in middle school when the very first episode aired… I was so use to watching Boy Meets World and Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Happy camper type shows which I still hold dear to my heart. But then Buffy showed up, this extremely badass girl who was beautiful, funny, cool,  and fought vampires and evil demons, and was constantly saving the world! When I finished that first episode, I was hooked for life. I never missed a show. I laughed along with the Scooby gang, cried when Buffy had to send Angel to hell, wrote an angry letter to Joss Whedon when I though Buffy had been killed off for good, sang along in the Musical episode... I was emotionally invested.



It wasn't all about fighting vampires that got me hooked though. Buffy got me through my middle and high school years. She struggled to figure out boys, graduate high school, figure her way through friendships, and then the scary start of college. It was relatable, it was relevant to everything I was going through in my life… Minus the crime fighting part. She chose guys that were no good for her, got behind in her classes, snuck out of her house when her mom was sleeping… She made mistakes just like everyone does. Most importantly, she owned up to it. And that's one of the toughest things I think anyone can do… Admit to their mistakes. 

Buffy was a protector and a giver who cared far more for her friends and family and even strangers then she did herself. And around that time period, there weren't a lot of tough girl role models that could take care of themselves. Buffy started that generation of fictional woman who could actually DO something. And she really did inspire people, she inspired me. I can't tell you how many Halloweens I donned the leather trench coat jacket with a wooden stake in hand. Or every time I got my hair done, I had a Buffy picture to illustrate what I wanted. More than anything I was won over by her sense of loyalty which is something I still consider to be the most important characteristic someone can offer. 


It's been years since Buffy has been on the air but BTVS still remains one of my all time favorite shows. I still get excited to see a marathon on SyFy and will relive those moments with childhood nostalgia. It's a show I plan on introducing my daughters too and hope that they learn something from it like I did. 

Favorite Buffy Quotes:

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it"
I’m rash and impulsive. It’s a flaw.
Okay, I’m cookie dough. I’m not done baking. I’m not finished becoming whatever the hell it is I’m gonna turn out to be. I make it through this, and the next thing, and the next thing, and… maybe one day I turn around and realize I’m ready. I’m cookies. And then, you know, if I want someone to eat—- or enjoy warm, delicious cookie me, then, that’s fine. That’ll be then. When I’m done.
I’m the one that dates dead guys. And, no offence, but they were hotties.
"So here's the part where you make a choice. What if you could have that power, now? In every generation, one Slayer is born, because a bunch of men who died thousands of years ago made up that rule. They were powerful men. [points to Willow] This woman... is more powerful than all of them combined. [Willow whimpers] So I say we change the rule. I say my power... should be our power. Tomorrow, Willow will use the essence of the Scythe to change our destiny. From now on, every girl in the world who might be a Slayer, will be a Slayer. Every girl who could have the power, will have the power, can stand up, will stand up. Slayers... every one of us. Make your choice. Are you ready to be strong?"



Emmy's Note: I have been one of Jessica's sponsors this month, and you'll see her blog button hanging out in my side bar. I am so glad she decided to write about Buffy Summers! Like Jessica, I also was a big Boy Meets World and Sabrina the Teenage Witch fan, so Buffy was a whole new ball game for me. I became addicted to BtVS back in 7th grade (thanks to my friend Cindy) and have been a fan ever since. (It also led to being a life-long Joss Whedon fan...) Looking back, I see some of the ridiculousness of the show, but I love it so much. I think Buffy is an awesome role model! You can find Jessica on her blog, Mocha Fox and on Twitter

1 comment:

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.