Thursday, July 11, 2013

Throwback Thursday - First Job

It's time for another week of ...

Cheers all around!

Today's topic is: "First Job"

Well... I'm going to be honest with you. I don't have a whole lot to choose from for this subject. I remember when I was in high school, my sister and I would go around the town (aka - the mall) and fill out application after application. I never got a single call. However, during high school my summers ended up being pretty busy with marching band obligations. (It's way more hard-core than you realize!) 

Then in college, I was just a slacker. I would try to apply for jobs... but it didn't work. I remember going on some interviews and I completely bombed them. Looking back I wish I had taken way more initiative. 

Granted, I did keep myself busy with community theatre and helping out with things at church. Ever since jr. high I had been helping with Vacation Bible School every year, and by the time I was 16+ I was running skits, music, teaching, etc. So... that was pretty busy. Kind of. Then one summer I broke my leg - so that sort of put a damper on things.

However, there was one job I had for a summer or two (I think during college?). I tutored two elementary school girls from my church. 

I would put together little lessons that had reading and writing exercises. I think one girl needed help with math too - but thankfully it was easy math that I could handle. If they had to get to algebra or something, they would have been screwed.

It was fun though. They would come over to my house once or twice a week and we would get work done. I built a pretty good relationship with the family and I remember helping at my church's daycare when their youngest daughter was in pre-school. 

Then at the end of the summer their mom made my mom, sister, and I an awesome Mexican themed dinner. It was great.

The oldest girl just graduated high school this past spring though, which makes me feel crazy old. 

There was also the time in college when I worked the front desk for some offices at the university. On the surface it was pretty cool. I answered the phone for the dean and was kind of the assistant to his assistant. I do remember that job I took A LOT of initiative to get. I think I stopped by the dean's office almost everyday for a week until he and his assistant decided to hire me. 

But he already was a fan of me by that time. I had broken my leg while on the Weeks of Welcome Staff (freshman orientation) a couple of years before and he gave me his cell number in case I needed anything. 

Perks of small universities my friends. 

Then once I graduated - I came to Missouri with my youth ministry job! 

So there you have it, my small pathetic work history. Feel free to judge me, I judge myself all of the time. Especially when all of my high school friends had ACTUAL jobs where they worked at restaurants, fast food, and swept up hair clippings at salons.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm the one who swept up hair clippings at a salon! Lol

    ReplyDelete

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.