Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Engravings in my Mind

I love flipping through old photo albums. When I see the pictures of my family and friends, memories from the past flood my mind and unfold before me. I can recall old inside jokes, the tone of voice different people used, and the little details that without a photo I wouldn't be able to remember. When I feel lonely or I'm down about life, I can be reminded of the good times I've had, the wonderful friends and family who love me, and be confident that things will get better. They always do.


Sometimes I wish I could relive moments and days. When I climbed a mountain in the Appalachian mountains. The first time I saw a live stage production. My first NSYNC concert. New Years Eve parties as a kid with my cousins. Wandering around downtown Chicago with my college friends. Rock Band nights at our favorite pub, Molly Malones. All nighters for getting projects done that turned into parties. Holiday traditions with my family. The day we brought our dog Josie  home. My 8th grade class trip. My first homecoming dance as a freshman in high school. Being in jr. high sitting at the football games with my best friend waiting for our older sisters to be done with their marching band duties so we wouldn't have to sit in the heat anymore. Halloween parties at Cindy's house in elementary school. All of the weddings my friends have had over the last five years. Being part of the weeks of welcome staff at Concordia. 

There are so many memories with laughter tears and love. 

Then it's time to put the photo albums away. 

Nostalgia is a beautiful thing. We can remember times when everything seemed happier and simpler than they are now. But when I really think about it, even the moments which seem to be perfect in my memory, I know they really weren't perfect. I was full of insecurity, drama with friends, and I'm sure in many of those family photos during the holidays we had just finished fighting over a toy with someone or were about to. 

Not that my past was bad - I feel so blessed to have the memories I do! I know I have an overabundance of blessings in my life. But I also know that sometimes we can dwell on memories and make them more than what they really were. Or we can get lost in the past and not appreciate what we have now.

Yes, there are many moments in my life I would love to relive over and over again. Be sure that they are etched into my mind like an engraving in silver. 

But I also don't want to get so lost in the past that I forget to appreciate now. Because the now will eventually become those precious memories I wish I would have savored.


Blogtember Topic: A Memory You'd Love to Relive

Like what you're reading? I would love to keep in touch with you on a more personal basis with weekly love letters! 

My goal is to put together a list of my family, friends, and anyone else who wants to dig a bit deeper. Each week you'll have updates about my life, links to my writing throughout the week, things I'm thinking about and would like your opinion on, and hopefully have some little extras exclusive to those who sign up. 

Simply put your email address into the form below to sign up!




2 comments:

  1. This is such a great post. I have been doing some walking down memory lane this past week. You are totally right about remembering it for what it was. It is so easy to see the past through "rose coloured glasses" It is nice to look back but we shouldn't forget to live in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post. I couldn't agree more with you. Memories are a nice thing to have, but it's important to not get stuck in the past.

    ReplyDelete

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.