Monday, July 18, 2011

All By Myself- Guest Post

Note from Emmy: I met "Relevant Notes" through 20sb - and have LOVED her blog! I think you'll love her too, and I really enjoyed this post. Since moving to Missouri, I've had to get used to some "lonely moments" and have even learned to enjoy them.
----
 I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.
-Henry David Thoreau



Sometimes I can be kind of a hermit.

Most of the time, actually.  I tend not to tell people that, though, because then they look at you funny.  Who would rather hang out alone than go to a social gathering with all of your friends?

*Raises hand slowly*

Or I'll get a (loving) lecture from my mom about going out of my comfort zone and meeting new people, doing the "college" thing, etc.  Sorry, but that just doesn't sound that great to me.  I'd really rather spend my Friday night reading a good book, or catching up my favorite TV shows I may have missed during the week.  Throw in some Ben & Jerry's and now we're really talking.

Now let's get something straight - I do have friends.  And don't get me wrong - they're awesome and I love spending time with them.  But I think it's ok to want to be alone now and then.  Some of my favorite moments are walking around campus with my headphones in, listening to my favorite music and just enjoying God's sunshine.  I love lazy afternoons of watching too many movies and never getting out of bed.


Last summer, I spent the a couple months interning in Boston where I knew no one.  It did get kind of lonely, but for the most part having all of that time to myself was exhilerating.  I spent Saturdays at the public gardens (above) reading and sipping strawberry lemonade.  I went to museums and actually read the information in the exhibits, and sat on benches people watching.  I was more aware of myself and the world around me than I've ever been.

We were definitely meant to love and support one another.  But sometimes, it's just better to be alone for a little while - and that's ok too.  Quiet reflection can help us learn more about ourselves, and ultimately, I think this makes us better listeners and friends when we venture out into the social world again.

This summer, try to find a day or a weekend that you can spend for yourself.  With no one to talk to, no one to interrupt your thoughts.  Who can blame you for turning down an invitation to a party for something that looks a little more like this:


I certainly can't.

----

Thanks so much to Emmy for having me guest post!

Come visit me over at my blog, Relevant Notes or follow me on Twitter @RelevantNotes!  Can't wait to meet you :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for featuring my post, Emmy! I hope you're having a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.