Thursday, June 27, 2013

Throwback Birthday

A few weeks ago Bonnie from The Life of Bon started a weekly link-up called "Throwback Thursdays." She gives topics about childhood, growing up, the past, etc, and we all write about that topic and link it up with her blog.

Well... I've kind of forgotten to do it the last two weeks.

However, with my crazy being out of town a lot this summer I decided it was better late than never and it was the perfect thing for me to do. Pre-made topics I can write about in advance and schedule them to go up on Thursday.

Also - today's topic is perfect.

Throwback birthday!!!!!

With my birthday being in 8 days, it's the best time to talk about memorable birthdays of my past.

Speaking of my birthday... if you're still trying to figure out that perfect gift for me, check this out: http://www.lovewokemeupthismorning.com/2013/06/what-do-i-want-so-glad-you-asked.html


I feel like the most memorable of my childhood birthdays was my 6th.

I've always had a variety of interests and an issue with making choices. My 6th birthday (at least I think it was my sixth... it's been a few years since then. Haha) was the perfect example of this. I decided I wanted to have a teddy bear picnic/costume party/if you don't have a costume a hat will be fine. Which means I made all of my friends dress up in costumes in the middle of July, go to the park, sit in the grass, and bring their teddy bears. I think one boy brought his Barney stuff animal.

Teddy bear...

Stuffed purple dinosaur...


Same thing.

I remember this one girl also had the coolest mermaid costume in the history of the universe and I was totally jealous. How dare someone have a better costume than me on my birthday?

I don't even remember what my costume was. Probably Snow White because EVERYTHING I did was Snow White back then.

Anyways, it was a good time. At least I think it was. And just for the time being. 

Because about 1/2 way through the party, sirens began to go off.

Tornado sirens. 

Oh the joy. My poor mom having to clean up an outdoor party and than haul myself and my sister back home after a failed party. We also ended up having to take home the pastor's son because his parents couldn't pick him up yet.

Then we spent the remainder of the day downstairs in the funeral home. Since we didn't have a basement, that was the safest place to go. Have I told you all that I grew up above a funeral home? Well... for those of you who don't know, I grew up above a funeral home. Just call me Veda.


Don't worry, I didn't scare the other kids in the neighborhood by showing them dead bodies like she did.

Honestly, I remember being happy the whole time. Which I guess is a good thing.

Why should you let a tornado ruin you're awesome teddy bear picnic costume party anyways?

I'm sure my mom wasn't as happy as me though. Sorry, Mom.

What's your most memorable childhood birthday?

Also- I'm guest blogging on my friend Rachel's blog Life in the Moment, today! http://lifeinthemmnt.blogspot.com/2013/06/life-in-june-learning-from-friends-3.html

4 comments:

  1. I remember that day!!! (I don't remember what I dressed up as, but I do remember going to the party!!). I remember it got really windy and dark out and then the sirens went off and we all ran to our cars!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww i love my girl :D It's awesome to remember great memories esp birthdays.

    pinkowl07.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup... my life was like My Girl... without my best friend dying lol

      Delete

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.