Monday, October 29, 2012

Even Rich Proper Fictional Characters Can Be Awkward

Last week I found one of the greatest deals in the history of the universe at Target. (Of course.)

The 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice was on sale for $4.75.

I know some of you don't like that version - but I don't care. I LOVE it. I can't believe I didn't own it until now. In spite of being completely broke, I bought it.

I have now watched it at least 3 times, as one does.

No? Just me? People don't typically watch Pride and Prejudice on repeat? Drat.

I think it's because the last few months I've been hooked on The Lizzie Bennett Diaries on YouTube, and well... a girl can only wait to see Mr. Darcy for so long!

One of the things I love about this movie is how delightfully awkward some of the characters and scenes are. While watching it, I came to the conclusion that this movie could actually be called "How to Be Awkward by Jane Austin."

Here's what I mean:



(If you haven't seen the movie, I suggest you stop reading this post, watch it, then come back to this and you'll appreciate it SO much more.)

1) The scene when we first meet Mr. Darcy, Mr. Bingley, and Caroline.

Oh look! New rich people have come to town. Let's stop ALL of the music and ALL of the dancing and STARE AT THEIR BEAUTY as they walk through the room, then go back to normal as though nothing happened.
Source
Source


2) When Elizabeth walks to Netherfeild in the rain, and when she gets there, everyone just stares at her for a minute wondering why she's there. Maybe it's payback for the previous awkward moment.

Source
3) While Elizabeth is visiting Netherfeild, and everyone is sitting the parlor, they all banter back and forth. As they do. While Mr. Bingley just sits there laughing at them.

Source



4) As the Bennett ladies go to Netherfield to fetch Elizabeth and Jane, Mary (who dresses only in dark colors because apparently she's the goth/emo sister), shares how dancing is stupid - even though in Jane Austin stories they hold balls and parties every two seconds.

Source
5) Every moment with Mr. Collins - ever. Especially these scenes:

Pardon me short man as I almost hit you in the face with my superior elbow. And, source.
Why won't you marry me? I gave you this tiny flower. Source.

I don't know what's going on here...
 but it's creepy & awkward. And, source.
6) When they meet Mr. Whickam for the first time and he tries to throw in how his commanding officers ignore him because he's insignificant, and Lizzie doesn't comment. Also, the evil stare down Darcy gives Whickam when they meet randomly. I couldn't find a picture of it though.

Source
7) The existence of Anne, Lady Catherine's daughter who is engaged to Darcy. Who also wears only black. Maybe she and Mary can be friends. 

Source
8) Speaking of Mary, that moment you realize she totally has the hots for Mr. Collins.

Oh please! Don't propose to Lizzy!
Don't you realize how awesome and emo I am? Source.
9) After Lizzie rejects Mr. Darcy's first proposal and he runs into the room, stands there, says a few awkward words, then runs away. Then Charlotte comes in and asks Lizzie "What did you do to Mr. Darcy?"

Source
Not to mention all of the times you see Darcy staring longingly at Lizzie and she has no clue.
10) When Lizzie and her relatives visit Pemberly (Darcy's house) randomly to take a tour, and run into Darcy while they are there. Apparently just going to some rich guys house to take a tour was a thing back then?

Source
11) Mr. Bingley returns and randomly drops by the Bennett residence, and the girls scurry around trying to look presentable and then stand up properly and have the most AWKWARD CONVERSATION EVER while acting as though they always stand like that - even though we all know they don't.

Source
12) I don't know if it's really defined as awkward... but it's my favorite part so I'm going to share it anyways. The scene when Mr. Bingley is outside  practicing proposing to Jane and Darcy is just playing along.

Source
So there you have it. Even in Jane Austin movies where everyone is supposed to be all proper and together - people are painfully awkward and find true love.

Doesn't that just make you feel better about life?

6 comments:

  1. Actually, yes it does make me feel better about life. There may hope for me yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. It's official. I'm going to spend a decent chunk of today watching the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice. Between this post, the fact that my best friend went to the house they used as Pemberley (1995 Pemberley, not 2005 Pemberley) today and posted pictures all over Facebook, and the latest episode of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, how can I not???

    Also, yes. It definitely makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to this movie, even us awkward people can find romance. It's awesome!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, this Mr. Bingley was super awkward. Just looking at him made me wince. I definitely prefer the 5-hour long A&E version the best. Colin Firth as Darcy is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find his awkwardness endearing though. I thought he was adorable! But I also know that I'm kinda weird... especially since I know everyone loves the A&E version better and I'm IN LOVE with this version. Eh. It's cool to have the different opinion sometimes. ;)

      Delete

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.