Friday, November 29, 2013

A Parade of Crock Pots

Ah, the end of  November.

I don't know about you - but I think I've eaten enough food to last me for a few days. As our family party of about 35 gathered together, we celebrated with tables of food and enough crock pots to feed an army.

It was wonderful.

Also, the reason why I haven't posted much this week. I've been way too busy eating, hanging out with my family, and wining NaNoWriMo.



Haven't I mentioned that part yet?

Yup. For the sixth year in a row I've written 50,000 words in 30 days. In fact,  I won on Tuesday. Which was always my goal. I knew that once I drove up North to see my family for Thanksgiving I wasn't going to get a single word written and I wanted to be done with NaNoWriMo before then.

I was so excited when I hit that 50k mark on Tuesday. While it's not the first time and I write all of the time, it's still an accomplishment. It's even something I'm somewhat proud of. For a first and incomplete draft that is.

There's still work to do. I have at least three chapters to write and a lot of gaps to fill in before I can say my draft is complete. But I still hit my goal which is awesome.

The number one question people ask now?

Can I read your novel?

My answer:

NOPE.

Which, I realize sounds unfair. I've only been talking about this novel for the last 30 days and preparing for it for even longer. I'm happy with what I've done and everyone has been really supportive. Everyone who has been supporting me should be allowed to read it, right?

Wrong.

Because it's still a rough draft. It's the FIRST rough draft out of several. There is no way this thing is seeing the light of day. At least not yet. Yes, I'm happy with what I've done, but there is still so much work to do before I feel like I can show it to anyone. Do you think JK Rowling let peering eyes see the first draft of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone? Probably not. If anyone did, it was a very select few.

As for now... I'm relaxing. I'm taking a bit of a break from novel writing, at least for the next couple of days. I plan on picking up the pen (or keyboard in this case) probably sometime next week because I've been daydreaming about how the rest of the story will go.

Until then, I'm hanging out with my family and some friends on my little break before the crazy of Christmas and loading up my iPod with Christmas music.

How was everyone else's Thanksgiving? (If you celebrate it.)

2 comments:

  1. congrats!!!! and the fact that you're writing towards a book is incredible!

    hope you had a great thanksgiving.

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! That's awesome! I can't wait til it's ready to be read :)

    ReplyDelete

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.