Wednesday, March 14, 2012

True Friends- Guest Blogger

Emmy Note: I don't think I have ever been this excited about a guest blog before! Today's post is from my "friend since before the womb." I introduced her to you in my Sisters, Sisters... post. So check it out! I mean, who better to write about this month's theme of friendship than my friends, right? Right. I am so blessed to have Julie as my friend. We have been through thick and thin together and I was outrageously excited when she said that she would write for the blog!

This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from the Father I have made known to you. 
John 15:12-15


Friendship is a beautiful part of life. Friends are there to laugh with you, be a shoulder to cry on, and give encouraging words when you are in need. Friends also help you grow as a person, because a true frienship is a two-way street. When a friend is in need, you are called to be there and support them. Jesus calls us to befriend one another to truly have a fulfilling life. Not only are we to be friends with one another, but also with Jesus himself. 

Societal standards encourage large groups of friends.

How many "friends" do you have on Facebook?

Who's "following" you on Twitter?

Who are you hanging out with on Friday night?

It is nice to surround yourself with people and enjoy your time together. However, there is much more to friendship than the size of your group and how you are having fun. As Jesus teaches us, friendship is much deeper than all of that. It is important to be careful of who you surround yourself with. "Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm." (Proverbs 13:20) Although it may seem great to have a "group" of friends, if they are not true friends you may be putting yourself in harm's way.

Source
Although you may be having fun every Friday night, will those people be there for you in times of trouble? Or are they just there for the "good time?"

I do not have the societal "group" of friends, however, I am very lucky to have a few friends that I know I can rely on. More importantly, they also know that they can rely on  me in return. I have been blessed with a lifelong friend - the creator of this blog. She is always there for me and reminds me how incredible it is to have a true friend in your life. I will be forever touched by the lengths she went to be involved in my wedding day, even though she lives out of state. Even though we cannot see each other often, our bond is strong and our friendship follows the example Jesus has provided. Therefore, it is a strong and true friendship - something everyone should strive for. 

2 comments:

  1. It's a shame that, in this day and age, people seem to measure their friendships by quantity as opposed to quality. It doesn't matter how many Facebook friends or Twitter followers you have. How many people do you know that you can call when your car breaks down, or when you're having a really bad day? Those are your true friends. Excellent post!

    ~Shane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she just so full of AWESOME? What was crazy is that just this weekend I really needed this reminder. Who better to remind me than my life-long friend, right?

      Delete

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.