Wednesday, April 1, 2015

When the Answer is No

I'm no stranger to rejection.

From job interviews, to auditions, to relationships, writing pitches, to nearly everything else, I know what it's like when you are told "no." It's not something I enjoy. But who does? No one enjoys rejection. If anything, we want to be the one saying "no" instead of the other way around.

It's the fear of rejection which prevents me from taking more chances. Applying for more jobs, asking more guys out, etc. I've known the feeling enough to know I don't want to experience it anymore.

But that's not how life works. We have to continue to put ourselves out there to get what we want. That's what the world tells us. We need to know what we want and go for it, no matter how many times the answer is "no" because if we just give up there will never be a "yes." So, we pick ourselves up from the ground and we try again.

If I were a good blogger, this would be the time I would share with you ten tips for handling rejection.

But we all know, I'm not a good blogger.

And frankly - I don't know how to handle rejection.

I try to tell myself that I never really cared anyway so when the rejection comes, it's not as hard of a blow. But that never works. I mope around and sometimes cry for a couple of days. I replay the incident over and over again in my mind and notice every single detail of what I had done wrong. Then, it makes me think of all of the other times I had failed in the past and how I should have known this was going to happen. Then, I remove any evidence of the incident. Hiding pictures, songs, applications, etc. It's like a breakup. I tell people I don't want to talk about it and then all I do is vent about the situation.

Then, one day, almost like magic, it doesn't hurt anymore.

I'm not entirely sure how this happens or when it does. But eventually, the day comes. Sometimes it's only a day or two later. Sometimes it's months later. It all depends on how hard the blow was. But it does come.

That's really how I handle it. I remember that eventually, it won't hurt anymore. Even if I don't know how or when, eventually it won't hurt anymore.

The sting fades away and I can look at the pictures again. Listen to the songs. Put out more applications. Go on more auditions.

Because somewhere down the line, among all of the "nos", there is bound to be a "yes."





























Also - I'm participating in Vlog Everyday April! You can watch my videos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.