Monday, September 15, 2014

Falling Slowly

One of the things I've loved the most about learning to play the ukulele is that I'm seeing songs in a new way. Or maybe the way I used to when I played instruments regularly that I'm getting back to. My big goal when learning to play a song is also getting it memorized so I can pick up and play whenever I want to. I want to have a decent size repertoire in my mind so when asked to play, I don't have to be all "well I need to go find my music for that song..."

In memorizing music, you see it and hear it differently. You learn the ins and outs of the words and melodies. You figure out your own way to play it and sing it. Making it your own. You notice different things about the piece you never noticed before. I've learned I listen to the song over and over again so I can be sure I get the right feel for it and know exactly how it should be.

You'd think after awhile I would get tired of these songs - but in fact it's the opposite. I learn to love them even more. I've even been learning some I never would have though of before but now that I've decided to play it - I'm in love.

One of the songs I've been trying to learn is "Falling Slowly" from the movie and musical Once. It's such a beautiful and simple song and I love everything about it. I'll share two versions. One is the original from the movie, which is amazing. The second version is from the musical, which is the version I usually listen to.





What songs have you been listening to lately? Link up!



2 comments:

  1. Have I mentioned how supremely cool it is that you are learning to play an instrument? Because it is supremely cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once is one of my favorite movies and I adore that song! Still need to see the musical tho...I think it's great that you are learning lots of songs. I knew you'd pick up the ukulele quickly :) Ur musical :)

    ReplyDelete

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.