Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Compliments Kids Get We Never Will As Adults

This week wraps up my time at the preschool. I've been there for a little over a year now and while I'm so excited for my new job and going down to working only one job from here on out (yay for being able to get decent sleep at night!), but I will definitely miss these kids.

There are a few things I've learned while spending so much time with these kiddos, and one of them is that kids get complimented on things we as adults never would.



Coloring

We could have no idea what the child has just drawn on the page. The colors are all mixed. They didn't stay inside of the lines in the coloring book. Half of the crayons/markers/paint got on the chairs, tables, clothing, hands, and your face than on the page. It doesn't matter! They're brilliant artists!

But what about me? I have a very pretty picture of Snow White I colored one day during project time hanging up by my stuff in the classroom and does anyone compliment me on it? Noooooo. I even colored inside the lines! Do you know how much of an accomplishment that is for me?

Eating

You hear this a lot especially when people have babies. "Are they a good eater?" With preschoolers when they eat plate after plate after plate of food, we tell them "Great job! You're such a great eater!"

When we as adults go back up to the buffet to pile more onto our plates, suddenly we're overeating. What if I just really like food? I don't get praise for eating an entire box of Girl Scout cookies by myself in one day?

Sleeping

This is another big one for babies. "Are they a good sleeper?" When kids and babies sleep for hours at a time, it's as though God has shined down on us from heaven reaping blessings upon our heads. A sleeping child is every parents and preschool teacher's fantasy!

Needless to say, no one celebrates when I sleep in or take random naps during the day.

Going to the Bathroom

"You went pee on the potty! YAY!!!!! You went poop too? BEST DAY EVER!!!!!!"

Seriously, the amount of times we celebrate this at the preschool is astounding and it seriously is ridiculously exciting.

Granted, I don't need to be complimented for going to the bathroom. But you have to admit, it's kind of a funny concept that we cheer kids on for going #1 and #2.

Have you all noticed these things, those of you who have kids or work with kids? What are some things we say to them that we would NEVER say to an adult?

And, in case you missed it, I did the TMI tag over on YouTube and tomorrow I'll be posting my May Reading Wrap-Up on there as well.

2 comments:

  1. I think we should totally celebrate these "small" victories into adulthood too. Or at least trade them out with new ones- "you *didn't* cuss back at the annoying customer who screamed at you today? Oh boy, good job! Here's a sticker...or a margarita."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to specify what I'm praising in my kids - creativity (coloring), willingness to try new things (eating), and independence (sleeping / going potty).

    ReplyDelete

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.