Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Prayer

Papa God,

This morning I woke up with a bad taste in my mouth. I've been dreading today for months now, and I kinda wish it never came.

But you haven't ended the world yet, so here it is. 

You know my heart, and you know my opinions. Since no one is ever 100% in line with your wishes, I pray that at least some of my heart is there with yours. My ballot is cast now though, and there is no turning back now. So I don't want to pray about that.


Original photo from here. Edited by me through PicMonkey.
Be with your people. Those who love you, and those who don't.

Remind us that no matter what happens today, you are in control.

Remind us that no matter what happens today, we are your children first.

We are your children before our political party, and even our country. 

Help us to see each other that way after the results have been declared.

For those whose vote wins - let them be happy, but also be gracious. Remembering that it is you who put that person/those people in office for a particular reason. Also to remember that those who did not vote that way still have a valid opinion, and hearts, and minds, that should be respected.

For those whose vote does not win - remind them that you are in control. Your plans are so much bigger than ours. While they may be sad, and it's okay to be sad, let them lose graciously. To not attack the party who did win, and to still honor those in office. 

For people like me who hate today, help us to be patient with others. To not snap every time someone reminds them to go vote. To not judge those who disagree with them. To get through without hurting anyone.

It's going to be a hard day, and I know I'm going to struggle with all of these things. 

So most of all - help me to be gracious, understanding, un-judging, loving, and to remember that I am your child before a political party.

I am your child before I am an American. 

In your name,

Amen

1 comment:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes. I love this post so much. I hope that others pray for the same things you are, I know I will be.

    You are such a wonderful, wonderful Christian. God is proud to call you His.

    <3

    Cate

    ReplyDelete

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.