Monday, January 12, 2015

Call Me Elsa

Winter has officially arrived in Chicago.

It's been chilly and cold on and off for the last few months, but as always Chicago weather is never predictable. We had snow at Thanksgiving and there were moments around Christmas where I dared to venture out of my house with a sweatshirt instead of a big winter coat. Without a white Christmas, it was hard to imagine winter was actually coming.

Then came the deep freeze. The kind of cold where your face hurts the moment you crack open the door, schools start closing, and you start letting your dog out in the garage instead of the backyard because the idea of frostbitten paws is close to reality. The harsh cold of Chicago winters is always a shock no matter how many times you've experienced it.

What was even more shocking the last few weeks was how little I minded.

There's something lovely about being able to layer up into my fleece leggings, a sweater, leg warmers, and thick socks for the day. I'd rather throw on my winter clothes than my things for the summer any day. I love feeling cozy and warm and knowing if all else fails I can just find a soft blanket to keep out the chill.

Or knowing I don't have to go outside if I don't want to and getting to sit by the window and watch the snow fall. Even as I work my seasonal answering phone jobs I watch the snow and let myself enjoy it.

And curling up in the living room with the fire going and a good book and a big mug in my hand is a perfect day in my book.

Even today when I went to work at the preschool and we went outside with the kids for recess I didn't mind it all that much. Yes, it was freezing and I had to keep walking around to keep myself warm, but it wasn't so bad.

I think winter gets a bad rap. It's harsh and cold and dangerous and people drive like they've never been in a car before. All of these things are true.

But there's also a calm beauty about it.

Maybe I am becoming more like Elsa.


5 comments:

  1. I have never minded the cold! I mean, I don't like freezing but i love getting warm, and sweaters and boots, snowballs, snow angels and snowflakes falling. Snowboarding, sledding and a good cup of something hot as also things I love. Winter does get a bad rap but not from me! It has snowed here but today it was raining and I was like what the heck!?! It's winter it needs to be snowing! Love this post and totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha we had A LOT of gross sleety rain and stuff more around Christmas. Now it's all snow and it's so pretty. I'm not one for the sports and such, but I love watching the kids play and being able to enjoy it and stay warm and cozy!

      Delete
  2. i haven't been minding the normal cold lately but i just hold it doesn't get craaaaazy cold like it did last winter. when it's 2 degrees, i just can't handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you cray. But then again, I spent the first five years of my life within walking distance of the beach. Either way, give me summer over winter anyyyyy day. Though my favorite is fall. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I do love the beach, I'll admit that. And fall is by far my favorite. It's just if I had to pick between extreme heat and extreme cold - I pick the cold! And I actually have really nice memories of being at the beach when it's a little chilly out.

      Delete

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.