Wednesday, November 2, 2011

November Sponsor Swap and NaNoWriMo Update

Happy November everyone!!!!!

I would like to introduce you all to this month's sponsor - Jessica!

Hello to Emmy's wonderful readers! I'm excited to be sponsoring Love Woke Me Up This Morning. My name is Jessica, and I live in Chicago with my wonderful husband, Mike, and our pet rats, Bert and Ernie. My blog, Faith Permeating Life, shares reflections on finding God and happiness in everyday life. I talk about the ups and downs of marriage, wrestle with being both very Catholic and very liberal, and mix in other random reflections about life. I also host a monthly linkup of book recommendations called Three Books on Thursday. Please stop by and share your thoughts!







So welcome Jessica to Love Woke Me Up This Morning! Won't you all go visit her blog? Please? Pretty please?
Also - it is day 2 of National Novel Writing Month.
YAY!!!!!!!!!
So far my novel is going pretty well. As of about an hour ago my word count is 2,959. Not bad if I do say so myself!
I thought this might be a good time to let you all know what my story is this year. Well.... it's kind of a long story.
I have always been a writer. Ever since I was a little kid I loved to write stories. When I was about thirteen I was trying to think of ideas for a new story I could write, so I asked my family and friends if they had any suggestions. The age old suggestion of "write what you know" was given, and I didn't like it. I said that what I knew was boring.
Then someone told me that I could write about Snow White. She was my favorite Disney Princess and I loved reading different versions of the story. It was something I knew - but it wasn't boring.
And the rest they say - is history. I've been working on this Snow White story ever since. I've written, edited, and rewritten every part of the original, but I'm really proud of what it's become. It was my first NaNoWriMo novel as well because I thought it would help me to finally get it finished. Then last year I did a sequel to White as Snow.
Well this year - I'm writing a spin off. In White As Snow, Snow White (Eira) eventually becomes sister-in-law to Cinderella (Myla). I was getting so excited about developing Cinderella's character that I decided she needed a book of her own.
http://www.keywordpicture.com/keyword/cinderella%20prints/
Thus was the inspiration for NaNoWriMo 2011.
Here is an expert of what I've written so far (please ignore any errors - in NaNoWriMo you don't really focus on editing, just getting words on the page). This is the day Myla's father is going to bring home her new step-mother and step-sisters, and Myla is having a conversation with her tutor, Reginald.
"I don't want a step-mother," Myla announced.
Reginald closed the book he had been referencing and put it away. He could tell that they were not going to be getting anywhere in their studies of the witch wars that day. He pulled up a stool and sat down across from Myla at her working table. 
"Yesterday you appeared very fond of the idea," Reginald said.
"I just do not want one, and my stomach hurts," Myla said quietly.
Reginald nodded in understanding. Myla's stomach hurt quite a lot these days. The number of her headaches increased as well and he had a feeling she was not sleeping well at night. "I am sure the king knows best, he was the one who arranged the marriage, and your father must follow the king's wishes. You also will have two other little girls to play with, and perhaps your step-mother will help tame that wild mane of yours. Besides all of that, your father needs an heir."
Hearing this, Myla's head popped up and she stared at him inquisitively. "I thought I was the heir. That is what Mother always said."
"Well, yes, that is true. Someday you may be baroness. However, most people prefer a boy to be an heir, not a girl. You know that Myla."
The child sank back into her seat dejected. "Oh. Yes. I forgot."
She sat quietly for a few moments and seemed to be deep in thought. Then she pipped up again. 
"But what about Princess Eira? She is going to be queen someday isn't she?"
Reginald nodded. Eira was the princess of the kingdom of Bennegin, which was just across the enchanted forest from their own kingdom. She was also close to Myla's age and was of a great interest to the young pupil. 
"You are correct. Princess Eira at this time will become the queen of Bennegin. However, she too has a step-mother, Queen Rhiannon. Don't you think that Queen Rhiannon and King Hayden might have a baby boy someday?"
A smile nearly came across Myla's face as she learned this new information. She nodded her head seriously as she thought about this.
"Also, do you remember who Princess Eira is pledged to?"
Myla nodded excitedly. This was her favorite part of her kingdom's events. "When Princess Eira was born she had skin as white as snow, hair as black as ebony, and lips as red as blood. Then when she was presented to the kingdom it was announced that she would be pledged to marry Prince Alvis when she came of age."
Prince Alvis was still a young boy, but on the verge of adolescence, and the future king of their kingdom. Myla had always heard that he was very intelligent. 
Thoughts? Ideas? I still need a name for the story. Right now it's Cinders, but I'm not in love with the title.
How are your novels doing? What tips and suggestions would you like this month for NaNoWriMo?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with me your thoughts! They make me smile.